If you have flipped through a few magazines or scrolled through a few style blogs…you have definitely seen the shift from structured blazers to soft flowing cardigans and capes. I love a great blazer, as we all know….but it is nice to have such an assortment of oversized cardigans to choose from this fall. Shopping them for all of you has been SUCH fun and I can’t wait to add a few to my collection. Which one to choose? My favorites below! Happy Shopping:)
TIP: Don’t toss your blazers ladies! They are classic, chic and always provide polish and sophistication:)
Goodnight Macaroon has this oh so cozy grey shrug available HERE. I own something similar from Armani Exchange and I wear it constantly…over everything!
Nordstroms Colorblocked Cape available for purchase HERE This can literally be worn over anything and everything. Casually with jeans or even over a cocktail dress!
Sanctuary printed cardigan available from Revolve Clothing HERE.
Available for purchase from international retailer Oasap HERE. Personally, I would not do all these trends photographed above at once. This plaid look is best with jeans and booties or leather leggings and a silky blouse!
Ella Moss Cozy Cardigan available for purchase HERE. I have sold this to a few #theboxservice clients and they are all in LOVE. *this is the one I am leaning towards:)
The “sweatercoat”hybrid is back baby! I love this cream colored dream available HERE.
This may not officially be a kimono…but it is a favorite shirt of mine and definitely has the look and feel of the kimonos I have been loving so much for fall. I plan to purchase one…after all of my clients have chosen theirs…aren’t I sweet:) Ha!
Not too much to report other than insanity with work. I have one more “Roll in the Rack” scheduled for Friday, and then hoping to spend the weekend catching up on internship inquiries, box service inquiries and EMAILS! Thanks for your patience as this has been my busiest week to date:) HAPPY THURSDAY!!!
I took my coveted leather leggings out for a spin this weekend. The temps were nice and cool…totally leather weather. I decided pairing them with my favorite new poncho compliments of Krimson Klover was the way to go! Do you remember this lovely sweater from last year? Well, there designs are just as beautiful for 2014! The sweater featured below is beautiful, soft and stylish- perfection really. Ponchos are everywhere this season. I have been a fan forever…and surprised myself by only owning one other. I think I might have a snatch up a few from my “Shop” page, which is ready to launch any day now!
Monday Mingle is the stylish collab between myself, BonBon Rose Girls and Momtrends. I am hosting today…but be sure to pop by and visit my girlies:) Off to pull a few “The Box Service” today…infact…Kristin of BonBon is one of my clients this week:) Yay!
I went from never wearing shorts…to wearing leather shorts! I have come a long way baby…hahaha!
I saw these last week at one of the boutiques I work with and thought they would be adorable with tights and boots for fall nights out with friends. Since I am one of those people who can’t wait to wear new things, I had to test them out. This comfortable graphic tee seemed to pair up nicely. I am not usually one to wear quotes..BUT…this one is just too fitting for me. I truly do…love what I do…and never feel like I am working…well, maybe when I have to be my own accountant- but in regards to the shopping/styling part…it is my passion:) Keeping the accessories and everything else very low key as you know my style is uncomplicated and easy. Hope you find some outfit inspiration, link to purchase this adorable tee from a new online discovery…HERE. Happy Shopping!!!!
I am not an avid shorts wearer….as I mentioned, I find they highlight the biggest part of my leg BUT the weather eventually gets to a point where they are your only daytime option. Last summer, I was obsessed with the Bermuda….and although I still dig it, I want to update my denim shorts for 2014. My plan is to invest in one of these options below in a size above what I usually wear for an easy low on hip fit. If I am keeping it real, it will most likely be the Level 99’s….. although the price tag on the Mossimo pair is quite appealing. My prerequisites are listed below. They are hard to buy without trying…so….I may have to hit Target and/or the dreaded MALL! Wish me luck!
1. Under $100
2. Relaxed fit
3. Not too short-full upper thigh coverage
What are you looking for in a denim short for summer? Hopefully I have helped narrow your search and HAPPY SHOPPING!
*this GAP pair is also really cute, but it wouldn’t allow me to grab the picture to highlight below. Check them out HERE.
Everything about this dress has me wanting to go barefoot and turn up the Bob Marley…instead…I celebrated a dear friends baby boy at her shower. I decided to dress appropriately and wear shoes, ha! I did skip the bra though….SEE, I told you I am a hippie at heart:) I realize not everyone can do that…and truthfully this style would be really difficult for a busty body type. If you love the vibe, but can’t wear this particular cut, pop by the eShakti site…they have a Boho Chic collection and each item is more adorable than the next…I want it ALL! Secretly hoping this style post helps awaken your bohemian side…Happy Shopping!
It’s #MondayMingle time, the fun fashion link up hosted by myself, Kristin of BonBon Rose Girls and Nicole from Momtrends. Join in the fun, link up and then visit with all our stylish friends. I have made some of the best blogging relationships through Monday Mingle…and hope you do too! Happy Monday:)
Checking out later today to enjoy Memorial Day weekend with my family…..you can catch me a little on Facebook and Instagram for snippets of fashion and fun…but I am really trying to stay disconnected. I hope you all have an awesome weekend filled with juicy burgers, delicious potato salad, great company and lots of laughs- that is what I am personally striving for! For those get togethers you have planned…I hope you find some outfit inspiration below. My personal advice is keep it simple, comfortable…but stylish with some fun accessories and killer shoes! Happy Weekend:)
Mothers Day is fast approaching…can you believe May is just around the corner? Whether you are shopping for your mom, sister, or friend….you want the gift to be something special, right? How about purchasing from a “mother” owned business this year. You will be celebrating women who do their best to juggle it all….is there a better way to honor a mother? A few of my favorite online shops are mother owned and operated…I suppose I gravitate towards women who “welcome the crazy”. I hope you find the roundup of my faves helpful in picking out a gift this season. If you aren’t particularly smitten with my choices, please pop over to the sites…and discover all that these mamas have to offer. Happy Shopping:)
THIRD STREET HABIT: If you follow along any which way, you have seen the Philadelphia boutique Third Street Habit featured countless times. The owner, January, mother of one with another on the way, has an incredible eye for unique clothing and accessories…labels you just won’t see everywhere. I stop in this store EVERY time I am in Philly. I actually just purchased a few items last week and tried on this blouse. LOVED IT…but had to draw the line somewhere due to budget. Boo. My loss can be your gain:)
SUSIE RAINE: This online shop is owned and operated by two fellow JERSEY moms! Susan has three and Lorraine has two…so they are definitely busy moms on the go….but keeping affordable style as a top priority too:) I personally adore her collection of scarves and have them on constant rotation for Spring. This Americana scarf is perfect for Memorial Day weekend, no?
STELLA AND DOT: Founder Jessica Herrin is a busy mother of two. She creates beautiful baubles that adorn women of the world, but more than that, she empowers them to start their own businesses….giving them a way to work AND stay at home. I have highlighted one of my favorite spring/summer necklaces. The coral is so perfect for the warm months ahead.
ZOLIE DESIGNS: Larissa is also a New Jersey native and mommy….creating the most beautiful handcrafted pieces of jewelry. I have featured her on the blog too many times to count…and love wearing her statement necklaces. Lately, she has been creating more delicate pieces and I am particularly smitten with this St Barths bracelet. So sweet and feminine…perfect for a lady in your life. Layer it with other bracelets or wear on its own.
I am up to my eyeballs….boxes to get out, Stella&Dot orders to process…so please forgive that I have VERY little to share today. When it comes to style….I say it often that simple is best and this outfit is the epitome of simple. Injecting a little personal style with some beautiful tassel jewelry (link to buy below) and a fun wide brimmed hat. Hope you find some outfit inspiration!
* Ankle length denim is all the rage for Spring…so if this cute pair doesn’t strike your fancy- check your local shops for a pair that does:)
That moment you see your babies while shooting outfit shots.. JOY!!! Have an AWESOME WEDNESDAY!!!!
The end of the season sales can be amazing…total scores, right? Although, if you can only wear the item for a few more weeks it might not be worth it. Below, I have compiled a short list of sale scores that I know you can style well into the warmer months. Hope you enjoy and Happy Shopping! * I am going to create “style now and later” boards on my Outfit Ideas Pinterestboard featuring the below items later today or tomorrow..so stay tuned!
A Cool Blazer:
Remember that killer yellow blazer I scored on super sale around this time last year? I wore it SO often….the 30 dollar price tag is down to pennies per wear. Blazers have become more than work wear and the most casual of circumstance welcomes them…boyfriend jean + tee + blazer = my polished mommy uniform. It is so nice when an item can perform double duty like that. I would focus on a fun print or bright color so you can start to infuse some much needed color into your wardrobe now…and it will still work come late Spring. Blazer featured below available here, or if that doesn’t strike your fancy how about this one ,this oneor this one!
Silver Pointy Toed Pumps:
I am on the prowl for a designer silver metallic pointy toed pump. I saw them on a few celebs here and there over the winter (Kate Moss in particular) and have decided they will definitely carry into spring and even summer. Picturing now with all black and then white skinnies accented with metallic silver heels and jewelry. Sounds fab, no? The ones featured below are pricey available herebut for more budget friendly options…I liketheseandthese. Only a few left but love this one too!
If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon by now…there is no time like the present. I would stick to faux in a true legging style…they are lighter weight and you can wear them all seasons. If you read the blog or follow on Instagram you know how often I wear mine. I plan to snatch up a new pair ( I have worn mine OUT) to style into Spring. Featured below are theseand if those don’t work how about these, these or these. If you just can’t seem to wrap your head around the full on leather legging..what about these?
There is not a doubt in my mind that distressed denim will not be on the scene come Spring and Summer. I have two pairs..one if a boyfriend and one is a skinny straight leg and they are hands down my favorite jeans to wear. Nothing screams “cool factor” like a worn in knee and pocket! I know there are some DIY gals that can make their own..but for the rest of us who have zero time (or desire) pick up a pair on super sale here, here or here! The ones featured below are available here.
I believe in paying it forward. Sharing your knowledge with others so that they too can realize their dreams. It doesn’t mean you have to share the inner workings of your business…but sharing bits and pieces can inspire others and is just the right thing to do…at least it seems that way to me. I probably consult once or twice a month. Nothing formal…usually a phone call or a quick meeting. I often have emails waiting in my inbox from college students or recent graduates in fashion to help with events or asking some guidance. I also have spoken with quite a few fashion bloggers who are looking to take their blogs to the next level and turn them into a business. I never charge…and probably should…afterall time is money and all that jazz….but the truth is I enjoy sharing. In no way, shape or form am I saying I know it all….certainly learning as I go…but something is working and going right. I am consistently growing, getting busier and busier. I work a solid three days a week and for the second year I will actually be making money at this styling thing. So here is some advice, if you wish to take it:)
1. WORK RETAIL. I give this advice to any young person starting out in the industry. Retail is a tough gig…but it is the beating heart of the fashion industry. In my opinion it is essential to being a successful personal stylist, shopper or closet expert. You will learn the ins and outs…no college class can teach….you will work with all different types of customers….with an array of personalities and body types. I am always perplexed by “fashion experts” and “personal stylists” that have never actually worked with people in a retail setting. It seems odd to me. If you are looking to work one on one with clients one day…I would recommend seeking out a boutique setting as opposed to a department store. You will be trained in more personalized service and will be exposed to the buying, merchandising and operational processes of retail. If you are good at what you do, you will also most likely connect with a clientele and make relationships that could potentially start your career when you are ready to branch out on your own.
2. GET INVOLVED. Network in your community and get involved in fashion events. Any fashion production company will always welcome volunteers and although you won’t be paid, you will see the inner workings of fashion events. Same for boutiques. Network with boutique owners and offer to help out or volunteer unpaid when they have special events. If you ever wish to style fashion shows or models this is hands on knowledge and look at it as an investment in your future. Some of my highest paychecks over the past three years working as TSF have been from fashion show production.
3. TAKE EVERY OPPORTUNITY. When I first started The Box Service I had no minimums and would literally take every opportunity to “style someone” that came my way. Any friend or friend of a friend who wanted there closet done…I would donate my time. I am not suggesting you do this for long periods of time but like anything, you have to pay your dues. If you want to have the flexibility, freedom and empowerment that comes from working for yourself you must also put in the blood, sweat, tears and investment. After about 3 or 4 months of doing this….I had built a first tier of clientele and it has proven to work for me. Important to note…you must be sure to let the client know the normal service fee and that you are waiving the fee for them as a one time courtesy. If you love what you do and provide value, they will absolutely book you in the future. This worked for me and the first tier have become my core clients that get seasonal boxes and roll in the rack services. My donation of time has paid for itself tenfold. Fast forward three years and I have put minimums (clients must spend a certain amount) on boxes and can only book paid closets…if you do good work and are passionate…this will happen for you!
4. THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. Times are changing. More and more people are shopping online and getting personalized service from online retailers. If you want a piece of that pie you have to think outside of the box. What makes you different? Unique? What service or convenience can you provide that they cannot get elsewhere? After some time, your deep personal relationships will be the reason that clients come back, but until then you have to grab them with something they need! For me, it was most definitely my box service. By shipping specifically curated fashion boxes to clients doorsteps I have saved them countless hours online, trips to and from the mall and also lend my professional styling aesthetic. I style about two boxes per week consistently throughout the year (except for January and July) and this is my fastest growing service.
If you have specific questions I can answer for you, please feel free to email me or leave a comment below. I would love to help inspire you on your fashion journey. Best of luck!!!
As you know, I hosted a small style seminar on Monday and one of the ladies inquired about mixing gold and silver jewelry successfully. I thought this was a great question and most definitely perfect material for a blog post. Of course, this is just my humble opinion…as to what I think aesthetically works when mixing metals. Truth is there really aren’t “rules”….but hopefully my tips have you rocking the trend with all sorts of confidence this fall!
1. Look like you are doing it on purpose. For example, don’t wear one small dainty silver bangle with a mess of gold accessories. The poor little bangle will get lost in the sauce and look like a mistake. Each metal (gold or silver) should have an equal representation (or pretty close).
2. Include one item that is mixed metal or two toned. Example, a watch that is both gold and silver, a necklace that has both included or a bracelet. This one piece sets the tone and allows you to add on silver and gold to your hearts content.
Some examples below! Hope you find some style inspiration and HAPPY WEEKEND:)
I created this board last Saturday night…partly because I promised a client I would share ways to wear white past labor day…and partly because I wanted to inspire myself to find creative ways to continue in my favorite white skinny jeans.
Turns out, I was most definitely inspired! I rocked my white skinnies yesterday for a few errands and running around with the kids. By pairing them with my favorite fall trends like cowboy boots, layers, and everything anything army green, I was both comfortable and chic! Have I convinced you to wear white after labor day? I hope you find some outfit inspiration and make it a great week:)
Tank Gap, Denim Shirt JCrew Factory similar available here, White Skinnies Yoga Jeans (old), Jacket Lovemarks (available through The Box Service), Necklace (available through The Box Service), Belt Nicole Miller (old), Boots Frye available here
I featured this set on Pinterest and decided to share how I translated it to my own wardrobe. A relatively low key weekend…we visited with friends and enjoyed the amazing weather…I did manage to get in a girls night out…and shared my impromptu outfit over on Instagram. The trick in styling these patent electric blue Tieks (or any bright flat) is keeping the rest of the outfit easy and uncomplicated. By total coincidence I had an infiniti scarf that was a literal perfect match…it was the pop of color I needed against my black and white. Skinny jeans, loose fitting tee and tailored blazer made for the perfect easy breezy mom on the go look. I hope you find some outfit inspiration and MAKE IT A GREAT WEEK!
Tee Gap (old style), Jeans Old Navy Rockstars, Blazer c/o Kohls available here, Ballet Flats c/o Tieks available here, Infiniti Scarf Lola’s Boutique (similar available via The Box Service), Leather wrap bracelet c/o Ettika available here
Leather is HOT for fall 2013. I am definitely not sharing anything that you haven’t read in Every. Single. Fashion. Magazine. What I am sharing, as a personal shopper, is that it has never been easier to try the trend. Whether you stayed away from leather based on principle, price or style…those are no longer issues. Enter…. faux leather… looks and feels real and makes the pricing much easier on the wallet. Commitment phobe? Lucky for you there are “accents” everywhere….allowing you to try the trend without fully committing.
This dress is a perfect example of leather accents for those who might be weary of the trend from head to toe. Completely workday appropriate (for most) but also easy to transition out to dinne, this Sa Va dress is utterly gorgeous. You have seen this brand highlighted on the blog many a time as I love and wear the clothes consistently. No longer available online…the company has completely repositioned itself and is now carried in boutiques all over the US. Visit here to find the closest boutique to you! Hope you find some outfit inspiration and crossing fingers I have inspired you to take a chance on some leather accents this fall!
Dress c/o Sa Va ($298- email me for more information) Necklace Vintage, Clutch GAP (no longer available), Pumps Jimmy Choo (last season)but similar available here
Leather accents are on everything for fall…coats, skirts, blouses, vests, pants, tees, sweaters and dresses!!!