When I shop for clients, casual is the name of my game. Stylish..chic….but always comfortable. I threw this look together last week, when I had some shopping to do, but also an appointment with a new client. I was in the mood to go “working girl” style…and the look ended up being quite androgynous. Truth be told, my style is quite often androgynous. I am girlie….I swear….but do tend to shy away from pink, lace and bows. I prefer clean, modern and simple…just feels more ME. Although I do love sequins and florals:) Who knows? Personal style is tricky like that..isn’t it? You just have to go with what feels good. Hope you find some workday inspiration and welcome to #MondayMingle!
Monday Mingle is the stylish collaboration between myself, BonBon Rose Girls and Momtrends. Hosting the linkup below. Hope you will join us:) What are YOU wearing? HAPPY MONDAY!
On Monday, I put my big girl pants (fair enough, tights) on and braved the cold into the great city of New York. I had a few blogging friends I was dying to see…..Glamamom, BonBon Rose Girls and Momtrends. We met at the delicious Rosa Mexicano across from the Lincoln Center…shared fabulous conversation and unbelievable guacamole….then head over to take a few outfit shots, of course! I was supposed to head to the Alice and Olivia presentation…but a few too many margaritas had me ditch it and just take the train home. If you break it down, my fashion week experience involved very little fashion at all…and as Andy Grammer would say…”that’s Fine by Me”!
I first wore yellow and black together here and then here and have been smitten ever since. I really adore ANY bright colored blazer and would completely recommend one for Spring. It can completely transform your basic black clothing for transitional weather (like now) and be styled well into the spring and summer months. Hope you find some outfit inspiration and have an awesome weekend!!
Shop Design Spark necklace is the perfect amount of bling: Available herefor $40
Some exciting news here on TSF….I am joining the fabulous ladies Nicole of Momtrends and Kristin of Bon Bon Rose Girls for the weekly style meet up, #MondayMingle. I am elated to have been asked to join their fashionable crew…bringing you a weekly dose of my style served up every Monday morning. I have been reading both of their blogs for eons…and have had the absolute pleasure of getting to meet them (in real life) at some NYC happenings…so it really is an honor girlies:) Thank you!
I am highlighting a really amazing brand today. Have you heard of MM Lafleur? I love a brand that solves a problem…and M.M. Lafluer does just that. If you are a working woman, you MUST be tired of seeing and/or buying the same dark suit over and over again. Or maybe (a good amount of clients tell me about this) you walk into a meeting and see another women wearing the same Banana Republic dress? If you are nodding your head yes…then you must get to know M.M. Lafleur, learn about their story here. I can assure you the quality is impeccable, the fit is like tailored perfection and although the price tag is a little on the higher side the pieces are so versatile, classic and quality…they will justify the price tag in no time. They are filling this void, solving the problem of not being able to find high fashion beautiful but appropriate office wear. I don’t report to an office…but for the days I need to be more formal I will absolutely be turning to this brand. I can also think of fifty other ways to style this dress…but before I do that…how about I share the first way I have styled it. Hope you find some outfit inspiration and make it a great week:)
* and yes, you are seeing clearly..the dress has POCKETS!
I believe in paying it forward. Sharing your knowledge with others so that they too can realize their dreams. It doesn’t mean you have to share the inner workings of your business…but sharing bits and pieces can inspire others and is just the right thing to do…at least it seems that way to me. I probably consult once or twice a month. Nothing formal…usually a phone call or a quick meeting. I often have emails waiting in my inbox from college students or recent graduates in fashion to help with events or asking some guidance. I also have spoken with quite a few fashion bloggers who are looking to take their blogs to the next level and turn them into a business. I never charge…and probably should…afterall time is money and all that jazz….but the truth is I enjoy sharing. In no way, shape or form am I saying I know it all….certainly learning as I go…but something is working and going right. I am consistently growing, getting busier and busier. I work a solid three days a week and for the second year I will actually be making money at this styling thing. So here is some advice, if you wish to take it:)
1. WORK RETAIL. I give this advice to any young person starting out in the industry. Retail is a tough gig…but it is the beating heart of the fashion industry. In my opinion it is essential to being a successful personal stylist, shopper or closet expert. You will learn the ins and outs…no college class can teach….you will work with all different types of customers….with an array of personalities and body types. I am always perplexed by “fashion experts” and “personal stylists” that have never actually worked with people in a retail setting. It seems odd to me. If you are looking to work one on one with clients one day…I would recommend seeking out a boutique setting as opposed to a department store. You will be trained in more personalized service and will be exposed to the buying, merchandising and operational processes of retail. If you are good at what you do, you will also most likely connect with a clientele and make relationships that could potentially start your career when you are ready to branch out on your own.
2. GET INVOLVED. Network in your community and get involved in fashion events. Any fashion production company will always welcome volunteers and although you won’t be paid, you will see the inner workings of fashion events. Same for boutiques. Network with boutique owners and offer to help out or volunteer unpaid when they have special events. If you ever wish to style fashion shows or models this is hands on knowledge and look at it as an investment in your future. Some of my highest paychecks over the past three years working as TSF have been from fashion show production.
3. TAKE EVERY OPPORTUNITY. When I first started The Box Service I had no minimums and would literally take every opportunity to “style someone” that came my way. Any friend or friend of a friend who wanted there closet done…I would donate my time. I am not suggesting you do this for long periods of time but like anything, you have to pay your dues. If you want to have the flexibility, freedom and empowerment that comes from working for yourself you must also put in the blood, sweat, tears and investment. After about 3 or 4 months of doing this….I had built a first tier of clientele and it has proven to work for me. Important to note…you must be sure to let the client know the normal service fee and that you are waiving the fee for them as a one time courtesy. If you love what you do and provide value, they will absolutely book you in the future. This worked for me and the first tier have become my core clients that get seasonal boxes and roll in the rack services. My donation of time has paid for itself tenfold. Fast forward three years and I have put minimums (clients must spend a certain amount) on boxes and can only book paid closets…if you do good work and are passionate…this will happen for you!
4. THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. Times are changing. More and more people are shopping online and getting personalized service from online retailers. If you want a piece of that pie you have to think outside of the box. What makes you different? Unique? What service or convenience can you provide that they cannot get elsewhere? After some time, your deep personal relationships will be the reason that clients come back, but until then you have to grab them with something they need! For me, it was most definitely my box service. By shipping specifically curated fashion boxes to clients doorsteps I have saved them countless hours online, trips to and from the mall and also lend my professional styling aesthetic. I style about two boxes per week consistently throughout the year (except for January and July) and this is my fastest growing service.
If you have specific questions I can answer for you, please feel free to email me or leave a comment below. I would love to help inspire you on your fashion journey. Best of luck!!!
As you know, I don’t have a dress code of any kind in my profession. Blazers and knee length skirts are not a requirement on the daily but that doesn’t mean I don’t love them. I usually pair my blazers with denim and skirts with easy blouses but at my Fedali Photoshoot, I decided to highlight what I would wear if I had an office to report to. The standout? This amazing Brenthaven Messenger Bag. Classic, timeless, impeccably made…what is not to love? I really love the unisex feel…and although I picked it out for myself…my husband did ask if it was a gift for him! Ha! Nope….it is a gift for one of YOU! I know how hard it is to be a working woman…and mom…and it’s back to school time….so I decided to gift this bag to one of you! Entry details below. Hope you find some outfit inspiration and GOOD LUCK!
Blazer: via Piperlime, Red Shirt: Daniel Rain, Skirt: Joseph Ribkoff, Shoes: Christian Louboutin, Collins Messenger Bag: c/o Brenthaven
This shirt is getting a workout ladies. It is the most beautiful shade of red and seems to pair perfectly under blazers/jackets but works just as well as a stand alone. It can be yours. Shirt: Daniel Rain (available through Box Service) $68- I reordered again and have all sizes S-L Small SOLD OUT
TO ENTER: GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED!
1. Please leave a comment below sharing why you NEED this amazing workbag in your life including your email address to be contacted should you win.
I can safely say, after scrolling through months of this blog, that I never wear purple. I am not really sure why…..it is a beautiful color that instantly turns my hazel eyes green…I should be wearing purple more often, no? It will be easy to do with this amazing dress gifted to me by eShakti. I was drawn to the dress because of it’s fabrication….Ponte hides a multitude of sins and I still have a few baby lbs to lose…also loved the feminine vibe with all the ruffle detailing. Some great facts about the brand…..eShakti has “custom” options where you can design parts of the dress to fit your personal aesthetic…..they also carry from size 0 to 36, embracing every body type. The fit and fabric quality of this dress is excellent…..I totally picked a winner and can’t wait to wear it over the holiday season. Hope you find some outfit inspiration and Happy Shopping!
Leather Jacket Steve Madden (old), Dress c/o eShakti available here, Earrings ISharya (old), Pumps Brian Atwood (sold out)
When a piece in your wardrobe can perform double duty, it is worth a splurge. I am adoring this SAVA dress for a few reasons….it is perfectly appropriate for any office setting….special enough for a night out on the town…comfortable and best of all RED…which is a great color for the holiday season ahead. I have styled it up for both work and play and hope you find some outfit inspiration. Happy Shopping! PS: That Rachel Zoe leather vest will be getting it’s own post soon…I am obsessed!
Zazu dress c/o SAVA available for purchase size S-XL $165 please inquire here or via my email firstname.lastname@example.org, Blazer SAVA (old style), Shoes Johnston and Murphy (old style), Bag Louis Vuitton
Zazu dress SAVA, Vest Rachel Zoe available here (vest runs very small), Bangles mix of gift and c/o Lydell,
Fedora Andi’s Boutique, Clutch Deux Lux, Pumps Christian Louboutin
I adore treating a dress like a jumper and have featured the look numerous times on the blog. It is fun way to make your dresses a bit more wearable and I am hopefully showcasing what a necessity the white collared shirt is to have in your wardrobe. Hope you find some outfit inspiration and enjoy the weekend:)
Red Dress Banana Republic (old style), White Shirt The Limited similar available here, Black Fedora San Diego Hat Company similar style here, Leopard Skinny Belt Old Navy similar style here, Deux Lux clutch (available through me), necklaces gifted and SOKO, Leopard Booties Banana Republic similar style here, Black Coat Nicole Miller (old style)
Oh and one FAVOR….click this link to vote for me as TOP 25 Mom Fashion and Beauty Blogs. I was nominated and now my competitive spirit has kicked in. It would be fun to win…and I will be sooooo grateful:) Thanks!
I am always advising clients to invest in a great leather jacket. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive one you can find…..just a nice feel and great fit. You would be surprised (I often am) at how versatile a piece it will become in your wardrobe. In fact, a great way to “toughen” up a ladylike dress is to pair it with your favorite leather. This would be a great look for a low key New Year’s Eve….just a beautiful dress you already own paired with some fabulous leather. Do I have you pining for one? This one available at Nordstroms is awfully pretty. Email me if you want some additional suggestions- So many great leathers on sale right now. Hope you find some outfit inspiration…and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Dress Banana Republic, Leather Jacket Steve Madden, Leather Fingerless Gloves SAVA, Scarf Gifted, Clutch Deux Lux, Necklaces Vintage, Hoops Sunshine Daydreams, Sunglasses D&G, Shoes Christian Louboutin
I was beyond excited (and not the least bit surprised) when one of my favorite blogging buddies, Nicole of Frankie Hearts Fashion launched her very own shopping site, Shop Frankie’s a few weeks ago. The shop is a perfectly curated collection of affordable, trendy, modern pieces that are sure to add a little KICK to your wardrobe. Nicole is oober stylish and I am always inspired when I visit her blog…..I can really relate to her casual laid back vibe. So hop on over…You won’t be disappointed. With Nicole’s amazing fashion “eye” and prices that won’t break the bank…I have a feeling I will be a repeat offender. Happy Shopping!
Black Shirt Tresics , Feather Vest Shop Frankie’s, Leather Skirt BCBG, Necklace Handmade, Cuff unknown, Earrings Stella and Dot, Clutch Deux Lux, Shoes Christian Louboutin
Gifted handmade Hamsa Necklace…Thank you Rosanna:)
And..yes that is my mini dachshund lurking in the background:)
Featuring what I wore yesterday….I love getting dressed up for work- It reminds me of the good ole days at Nicole Miller when I wore a dress EVERYDAY! Giving both my white collared shirt from the Limited and my Jeffrey Campbell boots a WORKOUT! Enjoy and Happy Shopping!
Dress Nicole Miller, White Collared Shirt Limited, Boots Jeffrey Campbell
Necklace Vintage from an estate sale
I normally am not a huge fan of the “exposed” zipper look BUT it is one of my favorite details on this Nicole Miller sheath dress- I think because it is more of a casual dress, I find it fun!